Florida Winter Forecast: Flurries of Northern Relatives!
Q: Who’s everyone’s favorite person from December to April?
A: You! If you live in South Florida! This designation stretches to include absentee property owners as well. If you’ve got it, they will come. Since winter weather is rolling in across the northern states, chances are you’ve already started getting calls.
In my 25 years as a homeowner on a beautiful little island called Key Biscayne, I have been called upon to host friends and relatives in my own home quite a number of times. In the process, I’ve learned a lot about hosting.
Here are 7 sanity saving tips to help you get through the South Florida winter as a host, even as an absentee homeowner.
- Communication and consideration are the keys to making everyone’s time much more pleasant.
- Consider your own needs and schedule. Do not just agree to let someone visit, if you’re not prepared to welcome that person properly. It’s ok to say no. If the dates or the person just aren’t going to work for you, recommend a local AirBnB.
- Limit the length of stay or number of guests. Your comfort in your own home matters too. Remember: the welcome mat is at the front door, not on your chest.
- Ask your guests to contribute by cleaning up after themselves. Often people on vacation simply forget that they are in someone else’s space.
- If you have wine or liquor with sentimental or high dollar value, consider putting it away while guests are staying in your home. Only leave out the items you’re open to sharing freely.
- Be mindful of your guests’ comfort. Their internal thermostat likely runs a little cooler than yours. If you’re not present, and your a/c system is complex, provide written instructions.
- If you’re an absentee homeowner, you’ll want to add the following to your checklist: Make sure your guests know your rules and limits. For example, if you’ve got expensive furniture or works of art, feel free to make it an adults only space. It’s yours. Even when you’re not there.
Winter in South Florida is the most glorious time of year! Sharing space in harmony takes just a few steps. Reclaim your enjoyment as a host by using our TBRTips.