TBR’s 7 Tips on How to Be the Ideal Houseguest.
You’ve had enough of the cold, and you have family with such a nice place in Florida. Surely they won’t mind if you come for a little visit! Allow us to speak on behalf of all the South Florida relatives and friends: We love you too, and we’d love to see you. And you. And you. Just commit these 7 Tips on How to Become the Ideal Houseguest to memory.
Adhere to these pointers, and you’ll be invited back time and again.
- When you’re in the planning stage, check with the host to make sure that the timing is right. Remember, chances are excellent that you are not the only person with the brilliant idea to hit up this particular Florida connection. If you can’t find dates that work for both of you, check the AirBnB offerings in their area, and invite them out for dinner while you’re in town. They’ll remember that next time you ask.
- Don’t treat their home like a hotel. Pick up after yourself! Share the chores. Go out of your way to help your host. Have a frank conversation about the house rules. Is it ok to make my own coffee? Is it ok to have a friend over? Etc.
- For many people, a car is as personal as a toothbrush. Provide for your own transportation. If you prefer not to rent, Uber and Lyft are excellent options.
- Be mindful of your host’s schedule. Is your host an early riser? Is your host a nurse who works nights? Ask and behave accordingly.
- Lend a hand. Offer to walk the dog, if there is one. Offer yourself as a babysitter, so mom and dad can have a night out.
- Be mindful of the cost of utilities. Turn off the lights and ceiling fan when you leave your bedroom.
- Thank your host properly. Purchase a gift certificate to the local supermarket or a restaurant you know your host enjoys. It doesn’t have to be a huge amount of money. It truly is the thought that counts. Last but not least, write and send your host a thank you card, not email. Include a snapshot from this trip! If possible, choose one of you with your host, in order to personalize it even further.
You are now the ideal guest. Our work here is done.